Puppy dies after exposure to blue-green algae

2021-08-02

Blue-green algae in waterways poses a threat to pets and wildlife, and a year-old dog in Ontario died after eating pine cones from a man-made pond that had been pumped out after cyanobacteria proliferated in the water. Blue-green algae is common in ponds and lakes with slow-moving water, and AVMA Past-president Dr. Douglas Kratt says it's important to keep animals out of those areas.

Full story:

Animal Health SmartBrief

Animal health news

Designed specifically for veterinarians, Animal Health SmartBrief is a FREE daily e-mail newsletter. It provides the latest news that matters to animal health professionals, including veterinary medicine updates, animal welfare and pet product news, best business practices, and regulatory updates.