Reading this on a mobile device? Try our optimized mobile version here: http://r.smartbrief.com/resp/dSjdCfbwoceLyglBcboB

September 20, 2012
Sign upForwardArchiveAdvertise
News for Reservists

  Top Story 
  • Air Force secretary hints at compromise on Reserve, Guard cuts
    The Air Force may be willing to compromise with Congress on a proposal to cut 9,900 airmen, mostly from the Guard and Reserve, Air Force Secretary Michael Donley suggested this week. Congress had opposed the cuts, leading Air Force Chief of Staff Gen. Mark Welsh III to say that the service's proposed 2013 budget is "simply not executable." Air Force Times(free registration) (9/17) LinkedInFacebookTwitterEmail this Story
  In the Pentagon 
  • U.S. investigating possible al-Qaida link to Libya attack, official says
    A top U.S. intelligence official testifying before a Senate committee Wednesday acknowledged that al-Qaida may have been involved in last week's attack on a U.S. consulate in Benghazi, Libya. "The picture that is emerging is one where a number of different individuals were involved," said Matthew Olsen, director of the National Counterterrorism Center. The Wall Street Journal (9/19) LinkedInFacebookTwitterEmail this Story
  • U.S., Japan reach agreement on Osprey flights
    The U.S. can resume operating V-22 Osprey aircraft in Japanese airspace under a deal reached between U.S. and Japanese officials Wednesday. V-22 operations in Japan had been suspended since August because of questions about the craft's safety. "This agreement was the result of a deep partnership and thorough process that allowed both sides to reconfirm the safety of the aircraft," DOD spokesman George Little said. The Hill/DEFCON Hill blog (9/19) LinkedInFacebookTwitterEmail this Story
  • Other News
  On the Hill 
  • U.S. should consider early exit from Afghanistan, McCain says
    The U.S. should consider an early withdrawal of troops from Afghanistan because the region has become too dangerous for operations, said Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., on Wednesday. "I think all options ought to be considered, including whether we have to just withdraw early, rather than have a continued bloodletting that won't succeed," McCain said. The Hill/DEFCON Hill blog (9/19) LinkedInFacebookTwitterEmail this Story
  Service Section News 
  Reserve Life 
  • CBO solidifies plans for COLA
    The Congressional Budget Office has confirmed its intention to pursue a 1.3% cost-of-living adjustment for Social Security and for military and civilian retirees. A final COLA calculation will be made in October, before the changes go into effect Dec. 1. Air Force Times(free registration) (9/19) LinkedInFacebookTwitterEmail this Story
 
 
Subscriber Tools
   
Print friendly format  | Web version  | Search past news  | Archive  | Privacy policy

Advertise
Associate Publisher:   Jim Eubanks   (202) 407-7822
 
Read more at SmartBrief.com
 
 
 Recent ROA SmartBrief Issues:   Lead Editor:   Sam Taute
     
Mailing Address:
SmartBrief, Inc.®, 555 11th ST NW, Suite 600, Washington, DC 20004
 
 
© 1999-2012 SmartBrief, Inc.®  Legal Information