Most Clicked Animal Health SmartBrief Stories


1. Nylabone treats recalled for possible salmonella contamination

Animal Health SmartBrief | Apr 27, 2015

Tests revealed possible salmonella contamination of one lot of Nylabone Puppy Starter Kit, and the company has issued a recall. There are no reports of illness, but dogs and people can become sick when exposed to salmonella. The bacteria causes abdominal cramping, fever, vomiting and diarrhea. WBZ-TV (Boston) (04/26) WAGT-TV (Augusta, Ga.) (04/26)


2. Iowa veterinarian reports state's first case of canine influenza

Animal Health SmartBrief | Apr 28, 2015

Iowa veterinarian David Ray treated the state's first confirmed case of canine influenza. Iowa State University's Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory confirmed the diagnosis after Dr. Ray sent nasal swabs from the affected dog for testing. Dr. Ray has since tested more dogs for canine influenza with results pending, and other practices have seen dogs with symptoms of possible infection. The animal in the first case is recovering. Sioux City Journal (Iowa) (04/28) KCAU-TV (Sioux City, Iowa) (04/27)


3. Chicago-area shelters grapple with spreading canine influenza

Animal Health SmartBrief | Apr 30, 2015

Chicago-area veterinarians are working with animal shelter staff to blunt the spread of canine influenza, but it's no easy task, and some facilities have closed. The PAWS shelter in suburban Tinley Park has shut its doors after 35 cases were diagnosed with additional illnesses expected to surface before the problem wanes. "At a shelter, you get things like kennel cough all the time. But never, in my 13 years here, have I ever seen anything like this," said PAWS Vice President Terri Buckley. Chicago Tribune (tiered subscription model) (04/29)


4. Auditory triggers tied to older cats' seizures

Animal Health SmartBrief | Apr 29, 2015

A study reported in the Journal of Feline Medicine and Surgery found that cats between 10 and 19 years old may have a seizure in response to certain noises. Veterinarian Mark Lowrie and colleagues termed the condition feline audiogenic reflex seizures. Humans have a similar condition. The study was based on questionnaires filled out by cat owners. ABC (Australia) (04/28)


5. Cat surrendered to N.J. shelter weighs 33 pounds

Animal Health SmartBrief | Apr 28, 2015

Press of Atlantic City (N.J.) (tiered subscription model), The (04/23)


6. CDC documents possible person-to-person plague transmission that began with dog

Animal Health SmartBrief | May 01, 2015

Three people in Colorado contracted the pneumonic form of plague after contact with an infected dog and its owner, who also fell ill. The pit bull was euthanized last summer after developing extreme lethargy and a bloody cough. The owner also developed a severe respiratory infection that required breathing assistance. Two veterinary technicians involved with the dog's care and a friend of the owner also developed pneumonic plague, and all were treated and recovered. Officials don't know whether the people infected each other or if the dog was the source of all the infections, but in at least one case, they suspect the dog owner was the source. NBC News (05/01)


7. Senior tortoise using wheels in place of front limbs gnawed off by rat

Animal Health SmartBrief | Apr 30, 2015

Telegraph (London) (tiered subscription model), The (04/28)


8. FAO calls for action against devastating goat plague

Animal Health SmartBrief | Apr 27, 2015

Veterinarian Juan Lubroth of the U.N. Food and Agriculture Organization said goat plague -- which infects sheep and goats -- is poised to negatively affect the lives of millions of people in Africa and Asia unless a massive vaccination campaign begins. Some 300 million people in developing countries depend on sheep and goats for their livelihoods and lives. "We have the tools to eradicate this at its source," said Dr. Lubroth. "But we don't have the political will or the resources because it's affecting poor countries." Reuters (04/22)


9. Boy with Asperger's able to hug his mom, thanks to dog

Animal Health SmartBrief | Apr 28, 2015

Amanda Granados' son Joey struggled for years with Asperger's syndrome, lacking the ability to connect with friends or hug his own mother. But when a shelter dog named Roxy came into his life, everything changed. "I didn't have too many friends growing up, but then we got Roxy and I've been able to make friends ever since," Joey said. "At home, I've been able to hold my mom's hand, kiss her, hug her and do a lot of things that I hadn't been able to do growing up. She's opened up my heart." Joey's mom says pit bulls like Roxy are often misunderstood, much like her own son: "She is literally his best friend." NBC News (04/27)


10. Xylitol poisoning kills Wis. dog

Animal Health SmartBrief | Apr 27, 2015

After eating Ice Breakers gum, 2-year-old golden retriever Luna had to be euthanized due to liver damage caused by the artificial sweetener xylitol in the gum. "Certain types of sugar-free gum have huge amounts of xylitol," said veterinarian Justine Lee, noting the sweetener is present in gum, toothpaste, nasal sprays, baked goods and more. Luna's owners started an online campaign in Luna's memory to raise money for a local dog rescue. KARE-TV (Minneapolis-St. Paul, Minn.) (04/23)




Sign up for Animal Health SmartBrief



Designed specifically for veterinarians, Animal Health SmartBrief is a FREE daily e-mail newsletter. It provides the latest news that matters to animal health professionals, including veterinary medicine updates, animal welfare and pet product news, best business practices, and regulatory updates. Learn more