Hostess Brands has debuted Chocolate Cake Twinkies, the company's first Twinkies product that does not feature a golden sponge cake. Hostess has also updated its Chocodile, which is an original Twinkies cake covered in fudge, to feature more cream filling, a larger size and a more robust fudge coating.
Mondelez has issued a report on the progress of its community well-being programs in nations such as Brazil, China, Mexico, India and South Africa. Mondelez's community partnerships are positively affecting the lives of over a million children in 14 separate nations, according to the company.
Singapore-based Delfi Limited and Yuraku Confectionery in Indonesia have joined forces to sell Delfi-branded chocolate products in Indonesia. Under the joint venture agreement, Delfi will have a 60% share in the joint venture, with Yuraku controlling the other 40%.
Kraft Heinz's new "Feed Your Family, Feed the World" initiative officially launched this week with the goal of donating thousands of meals to Rise Against Hunger. "Thanks to Kraft Heinz, we can all be involved in providing life-changing nutrition by taking a few simple actions," said Rise Against Hunger CEO Rod Brooks.
Chocolate consumption has increased 50% between 2011 and 2016, according to Mintel data. Over two in five Indian consumers said they believe in the health benefits of chocolate, which helps drive consumption, according to research firm Mintel.
Coca-Cola Plus is being sold in Japan, offering consumers there a fiber-infused version of the popular soft drink. The company has also launched Canada Dry Plus with fiber included, following up its 2014 release of a tea with fiber product.
You're invited: Join our new Sweets & Snacks Expo LinkedIn group
Sweets & Snacks Expo's new LinkedIn Group is the place to share ideas, plan meetings, start discussions, post events and connect with your peers. We will share Expo updates as well as industry insights to keep you current on trends, innovations and best practices for the whole treating and snacking world. Join us.
NCA to host FSVP training course during Sweets & Snacks Expo
Join NCA from May 22-24 at the McCormick Center in Chicago for a two-and-a-half day Foreign Supplier Verification Program training course led by D.L. Newslow & Associates. This Food Safety Preventive Controls Alliance approved course is essential for any individual or corporation who is involved in the supply, transportation or purchase of food that is imported and intended for consumption in the US. Read more.
Food manufacturers are increasingly seeing the benefit of SmartLabel as a vehicle for communicating detailed nutrition, ingredient and product information to consumers without overcrowding limited label space on packaging. Roughly 7,000 brands already have SmartLabel, and 34,000 are expected to join the platform by the end of the year, said GMA's Jim Flannery.
Turkey-based Korozo Ambalaj is set to expand its production of flexible packaging throughout Europe after the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development and Esas Holding acquired a majority stake in the company. Korozo Ambalaj exports to 80 countries and will soon enter into new international markets, according to Jean Marc Peterschmitt of EBRD.
PepsiCo's focus on pricing adjustments and better-for-you products fueled first-quarter sales and earnings growth, CEO Indra Nooyi said. The company is formulating lower-sugar products and building its overall portfolio to stem the impact of beverage taxes, which have passed in several US cities, Nooyi said.